Some ID Theft Warning Signs

Uncategorized | Tagged , , ,

Some ID Theft Warning Signs


  • You see withdrawals, purchases, or other types of errors on your bank account or credit card statement that you can’t explain.
  • Merchant(s) refuse your checks.
  • You receive a credit card or store charge card in the mail for which you did not apply
  • You catch errors  or you find unfamiliar accounts or charges on your credit report.The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires each of the nationwide credit reporting companies — Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion — to provide you with a free copy of your credit report, at your request, once every 12 months. The FCRA promotes the accuracy and privacy of information in the files of the nation’s credit reporting companies. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation’s consumer protection agency, enforces the FCRA with respect to credit reporting companies.How do I order my free report?
    • The three nationwide credit reporting companies have set up a central website, a toll-free telephone number, and a mailing address through which you can order your free annual report.
    • To order, visit, call 1-877-322-8228. Or complete the Annual Credit Report Request Form and mail it to: Annual Credit Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA 30348-5281. Do not contact the three nationwide credit reporting companies individually. They are providing free annual credit reports only through, 1-877-322-8228 or mailing to Annual Credit Report Request Service.BEWARE OF IMPOSTER FREE CREDIT REPORT WEBSITES. They may even have FREE CREDIT REPORT in their name but may actually direct you to sites that will harvest and resell your personal information.


  • There is a warrant out for your arrest for something you did not do.


  • You receive unexpected mail telling you your mail is being forwarded to another address.
  • You have missing mail such as from a bank or other financial institution.
  • Debt collectors contact you about debts that aren’t yours.


  • You find errors on your Social Security Statement. To set up an account with Social Security, go to: to Create An Account
  • The IRS notifies you that more than one tax return was filed in your name, or that you have income from an employer you don’t work for.Contact the Internal Revenue Service. IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit 1-800-908-4490


  • Medical providers bill you for services you didn’t use.
  • Your health plan rejects your legitimate medical claim because the records show you’ve reached your benefits limit.
  • A health plan won’t cover you because your medical records show a condition you don’t have.

Several signs can tip you off to the fact that someone is misusing your child’s personal information and committing fraud. For example, you or your child might:

  • be turned down for government benefits because the benefits are being paid to another account using your child’s Social Security number
  • get a notice from the IRS saying the child didn’t pay income taxes, or that the child’s Social Security number was used on another tax return
  • get collection calls or bills for products or services you didn’t receive

You get notice that your information was compromised by a data breach at a company where you do business or have an account. BUT REMEMBER:

  • Do NOT respond to emails pretending to represent the company in question. They will NOT email you and ask you for personal information.

For more information about Meramec Valley, visit